Green Card Eligibility Requirements
The Green Card Lottery eligibility requirements are also known as the annual Diversity Visa Lottery. It is a government program in the U.S. that provides 55,000 Permanent Resident cards to people from underrepresented countries in the U.S. There are green card lottery eligibility requirements that need to be met by anyone who is interested in coming to the United States.
Green Card Lottery Eligibility Requirements
In order to put your name in the American green card lottery, you would need to fill out a green card lottery application. The green card lottery application form would help the government determine if you qualify based on the green card USA rules. The requirements are broken up into different sections. If you are eligible in each section, you can apply.
The green card lottery visas are distributed to people from 6 geographic regions. If there is a region where the immigration rate is low, the people who live there have priority. If there is a particular country that sent over 50,000 immigrants to the United States within that last 5 years, citizens of that country would not be eligible for the green card lottery. Also, in each area, no country can receive more than 7 percent of the available Direct Visas in one fiscal year. This equals to be about 3,500 people.
**Today, 80 percent of the Diversity Visas have been received by Europe and Africa.
- Countries that Are Ineligible:
There are several countries whose residents may not apply due to the fact that over 50,000 immigrants from these countries had moved to the United States in the last 5 years. These countries include:
○ Dominican Republic
○ El Salvador
○ South Korea
○ The UK (excluding Northern Ireland)
**If you were born in Hong Kong SAR, Taiwan, and Macau Sar, you are eligible
- Qualifying Education and Work Experience:
In order to qualify for the green card lottery, you would need to meet certain education requirements as well as certain occupational requirements.
○ You need to have a high school education compared to that of a high school diploma in the U.S.
○ You need to have at least 2 years of work experience in a job that required you to have at least 2 years of training or experience. It must be a formal education. Equivalency certificates and correspondence programs are not accepted.
○ Your occupation must qualify. To find out if your occupation qualifies, you should visit https://www.onetonline.org/. You would simply enter your occupation to see if it qualifies.
- Further Considerations:
There are a few considerations that you should keep in mind if you are thinking about putting your name in the green card lottery.
○ If you are already in the U.S. on the legal status and your country, education, and occupation qualify, you can enter the green card lottery. If you are selected, you can stay in the country.
○ If you are married, you and your spouse can enter separately as long as you both meet the eligibility requirements. You can include your spouse’s name and if either of you is chosen, your spouse would be selected as well.
○ There is no minimum age to qualify for the lottery, however, since you need to have a high school education or work experience, you would likely not qualify if you are under 18 years old.
○ You don’t need to write or speak English to qualify. You don’t need to have relatives in the U.S., a job offer from a business in the country, or a certain amount of money.
○ To qualify, you cannot have a criminal record. Also, you cannot be mentally disturbed and you must be able to support yourself. Finally, you cannot be a threat to the United States government or its citizens.
○ If you are already registered for an immigrant visa in another category, you can still enter the lottery.
○ If a person wins the lottery but they pass away, their Direct Visa would be revoked. Also, their spouse and children would no longer be eligible.
What Is the Official Green Card Lottery Website?
The Official Green Card Lottery website is run by the Department of Labor. The website contains all of the information that you need about the program. You can also apply for the program right online.
If you have ever hoped to move to the United States and receive a Direct Visa, you should look into the green card lottery. It could be your ticket to the land of the free.